For most obstructive sleep apnea patients, the doctor will recommend a CPAP devices in order to improve your sleeping. If you are a patient that was recommended one of these machines, let’s explore what exactly a CPAP machine is and how can it help you sleep better at night.
Positive airway pressure (PAP) sleep therapy devices are designed to make your sleeping experience easy and comfortable, so you accept and adhere to using them. These machines use air pressure to keep your airways open while you’re sleeping. This helps prevent your throat’s airways from collapsing when you inhale during sleep. It can also help to reduce snoring. PAP therapy can help those with obstructive sleep disorders to get a good night’s rest when used as instructed. CPAP, BIPAP/Bi-level, and APAP (auto-level) are different types of PAP therapy designed to benefit users in different ways but CPAP devices function with continuous positive airway pressure at one constant pressure. Most machines can be adjusted with pressure settings to allow pressure relief throughout the night. Some CPAP equipment can even auto-adjust to determine the best pressure for you based on your breathing patterns.
Most health insurance companies will cover the cost of your new CPAP machine, so you won’t have to worry about spending time searching for the best CPAP prices. Typically, along with your pressure machine, your insurance company will cover the cost of CPAP masks. Deductibles and copayments can vary on such medical equipment depending on your healthcare plan. You may wish to contact your insurance company first to determine what costs you will have to pay out of pocket. On the other hand, if you are currently covered by Medicare, authorization will be needed in order to obtain your new CPAP machine. Usually, there will be a trial period of around 3 months to ensure that the CPAP therapy machine is working effectively, and you are using it regularly to be covered.
When choosing the right machine for you, there are a few different things that should be taken into consideration including:
Quality: This can play a huge role in the effectiveness of your machine and also how long it lasts.
Comfort: Your machine should provide a level of comfortability that makes it easier to sleep at night.
Technology: Some newer machines are equipped with technology that can automatically adjust pressure levels for you which is convenient.
AirSense 10 CPAP
The ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP is a basic fixed-pressure device with integrated humidifier and cellular connectivity. Each machine also gives you access to myAir – a free app that provides a nightly sleep score, coaching and more to help you stay on track.
- The quiet Easy-Breathe™ motor makes for a peaceful environment for the patient and their bed partner.
- Expiratory pressure relief (EPR) maintains the optimal treatment for the patient during inhalation and reduces pressure during exhalation.
- SmartStart™ allows the patient to start therapy by breathing in, instead of pressing the ‘Start’ button.
- Pulse oximetry monitoring is available.
- Integrated humidification simplifies setting up the device and makes therapy easier for your patients.
- Using AirView, you can access nightly therapy data, troubleshoot remotely (using the remote assist feature) and change device settings remotely.
- The user-friendly controls, intuitive interface and color LCD screen make it simple to navigate menus and customize comfort and pressure settings.
- Built-in ambient light sensor adjusts brightness of the screen based on the light in the room and turns off automatically.
AirCurve 10 by ResMed
AirCurve 10 bilevel machines include two pressure level settings: a higher pressure when you inhale, and a lower pressure that makes it easier to exhale. Each machine also gives you access to myAir – a free app that provides a nightly sleep score, coaching and more to help you stay on track.
- Continuous leak management enables reliable delivery of therapy pressure while maintaining patient-device synchrony.
- The AirCurve 10 S bilevel machine is compatible with up to 15L/min of supplementary oxygen.
- Consistent humidification throughout the night with the integrated HumidAir humidifier and optional ClimateLineAir heated tube with Climate Control technology can provide a more comfortable experience.
- The user-friendly controls, intuitive interface and color LCD screen make it simple to navigate menus and customize comfort settings.
- The quiet Easy-Breathe motor reduces noise levels and makes for a peaceful environment for you and your bed partner.
- C-Flex Flex Comfort
- Standard Integrated Bluetooth for Connectivity
- Mask-Type Resistance Control
- Mask Fit Check
- Oximetry Capable
- Encore Patient Management System with DreamMapper Patient Self-Management System Capability
- Modular humidification design with one-piece, dishwasher-safe chamber
AirMini Portable CPAP Machine
AirMini Portable CPAP Machine by ResMed
- Smallest portable CPAP on the market
- Compatible masks* create a fully integrated system
- Convenient control with the AirMini app & 30-day history
*Compatible masks: AirFit™ F20 AirFit™ N20 AirFit™ P10 for AirMini™ AirTouch™ F20
Transcend 3 miniCPAP
Transcend 3 miniCPAP (Portable CPAP)
- Small & lightweight, this miniCPAP is about the size of a soda can
- Quiet at less than 30 dBA
- Battery-powered CPAP therapy for restful sleep anywhere with optional battery
- DC and Solar Charging options for off-grid power
- Ramp and EZEX pressure relief features make it more comfortable to fall asleep
- FAA approved for in-flight use
- Includes a free padded travel bag and international plug kit (a $50 value)
- Use any mask or tube with a standard 22mm connector
- Industry’s best warranty: 3 years + optional extended warranty with damage protection
myAir is a free, sleep therapy progress app from ResMed that provides a nightly sleep score, coaching and more to help you stay on track. This exclusive feature is available to AirSense 10 and AirCurve 10 users!